Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The wait is over!!

I have finally received my invitation that tells me my country and my departure date. Y'all ready???!!! I am going to Cape Verde. It is a group of nine inhabited islands (kind of like Hawaii) off the coast of north-west Africa!! So I am not on the mainland, which at first I was disappointed about, but everything I have read has made me really excited!! My job title is YOUTH MOBILIZER which basically means I can do anything once I get over there that is focused on youth. They talk about camps, sports, community developement, learning basic computer skills, tutoring, HIV/AIDS and STD awareness, etc. I couldn't be happier about working with the youth of the country.
Now it's really crunch time for me because my departure date is June 25th and the Peace Corps has so many forms and last minute things they have you do. When I called today to accept the invitation, my placement officer said 'ok congratulations, now you need to get your visa and passport applications that we JUST sent you mailed away today or tomorrow"!!! I have about 6 weeks left and that is usually how long everything takes so I ran around like a crazy woman today trying to get everything done (and i did!).
So, everyone go look up my beautiful islands!!

6 comments:

Mark Hayward said...

Lauren
Congratulations, Nancy and I considered doing something like this when we graduated from college, but it never happened. Now is the time in your life pursue these kind of adventures. You will never regret it.
Good luck.
Mark and Nancy Hayward

Anonymous said...

Lauren-
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you! I know you will be a great blessing there and you will gain so much from the experience!
I will look forward to following your adventures!
Tyla Healton

Anonymous said...

Cape Verde??

They speak Portuguese there, Awesome! Let me know if you ever need help translating something :)

I'm looking forward to reading your blog, so keep it updated alright?

Happy Journey to you! Now go do some good in this world.

Ricardo

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are amazing! I can't wait to hear all about your adventure. It will be just like one long session of camp, with a different kind of "camper." Speaking of camp, I was wearing the T-shirt last night and the checker at Safeway asked about camp with a perplexed face. I thought of you :) Have a great time!!!

Christina Luza

George Brereton said...

Lauren,
Congratulations! Cape Verde Is were a planned fueling on stop on my trip from Mallorca to Alaska on the 80' Charter boat I tried to buy a few years ago. It is also near where all the Hurricanes in the north Atlantic start. I'm sure you will have many adventures and valuable experiences there.
cousin George

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you LD! Looking forward to visiting you. In the mean time, let's hang out, eat American food and taste good microbrews.