Friday, June 29, 2007

I´m here!

I have made it to Cape Verde!! We left Atlanta at 4:30 pm on wednesday and arrived in Dakar Senegal at 4:30 am Thursday morning. It was pretty surreal getting on that plane and thinking that when it lands I will be in Africa for two years. Don´t worry I waived goodbye to the US as we flew away! We had a six hour layover in Dakar, so the Peace Corps took us to a hotel for the day. Now let me just say that Dakar is a pretty dangerous airport anyways, but coming in at the wee hours of the morning with 29 americans and more crap than we could carry, definately caused a stir with the locals. No one good is out at that time of day, I don´t care what country you are in. So after a pretty tense transition to the buses we got to the hotel and basically hung out by the pool all afternoon until it was time to go back to the airport and get on the flight to Praia, Cape Verde. We are staying at this hostel type place and I can see the ocean from my window. We have been in constant training sessions since we got here (no rest for the weary, i finally got to bed at 11 last night after 36 hours of being awake) and there is no end in sight. We got about 3 hours of free time today and I am glad I get to tell you all how things have been going. oh, we also received all of our shots this morning and are going to a big dinner tonight. In case you were wondering, local time here is 3 hours ahead of eastern time and 6 ahead of the west coast. Well the computer is buzzing at me because i only have 5 min left so i have to wrap up but I am great and already loving it. Can´t wait to get to my host family on Sunday and start learning some Kriolu!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

La, how exciting it is to read your blog!! An ocean view!! Better than SC!!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi La...wow you are a brave girl!!! I will have to brave through you...I will continue to read you blog!! Looking forward to all the stories!

Love,

Mary

Betsy said...

Ocean view . . . I thought you joined the Peace Corps!?!?!

Love reading your blog, it feels like yo are right next door.

I am so proud of you!

Love,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren.

You will have language training wired! Have a great time and keep the blogs coming.
~Mary J

Amanda LaDuke said...

How exciting!!!

I truly can't wait to hear about all the adventures ahead of you.
Love, Amanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren,

I work with your brother and he sent me the link to your blog. I'm excited to hear about your experience to share with my own family. I'm grateful for what you are doing and hope that you are encouraged in your arrival.

Mitch Powers