Thursday, October 4, 2007

Do you even know what a mop is or how to use it??

I thought I would clarify for all my skeptics out there (Sara Martin…and probably anyone who has ever lived with me/known me), YES I have become quite well acquainted with my mop!! I may not have used it much before, or really maybe never before(!) but I am a good little cleaner now. I clean my house twice a week, can you believe that 2 times in one week! I know I know, I am making people fall off their chairs right now, what with liking onions and actually cleaning on a regular basis. Oh, and I would like to say that I have passed the month mark living here in Fogo, and you can still see the floor of my room. My clothes actually go in a dirty clothes bin, or yes, even get hung up. It is amazing what the threat of cockroaches, ants and dust will do to a person!

As for how my actual work is going here is a little update…I am still going every afternoon to a health “formação (=seminar/talk/discussion)” in different “fora(=rural)” zones of Fogo (sorry there are just some things that don’t translate right coming back into English, so you all get a little Kriolu/Portuguese lesson). I do absolutely nothing but sit there but it is great for me to be getting out there, seeing the different youth of the different zones that I might be working with, and for them to get comfortable seeing me! I am going to start next week at the youth center here in Bila doing something with English, maybe tutoring, maybe lessons, I don’t really know because I think something got lost in translation…my language is still horrific! But I have started really studying, another big shock, which is something up until now I haven’t done…so hopefully I will get over this hump. The peaks and valleys of learning a language are real mental challenges.

And for an update on the fun part of my Peace Corps experience (well it’s all fun but this is just silly), I was a judge at the Miss Fogo competition last Saturday night!! Hahaha, I really don’t know how this happened but it was definitely entertaining…but it was way past my bedtime because it started at midnight and ended at 3:30 am…talk about a culture difference! And then yesterday, I was asked if I wanted to “fazi ginàstica”, which literally translates into “make gymnastics” and my mind immediately goes to “oh my god, they want me to go to a class with a balance beam, vault and floor routine. The woman I have been going to the formação with, who speaks great English, said that no, it was an aerobics class, so then my mind goes to Jane Fonda in the 80’s or sweatin’ to the oldies with Richard Simons, and I think sure..let’s have a little fun. Well I get there and it turns out to be a high impact kick-boxing/Tae Bo class!! It was great! It is held outside on the patio of the primary school where you can see the sunset over the ocean…not to shabby if you ask me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so great picturing you over there! Way to use the mop and "make gymnastics."

Ms. Dodds said...

where the hell was the merrymaid when you lived with me? first you tell me that i no longer will have to wait 5 hours while you pick every little onion out of chipotle burritos and now you supposedly clean? i think the biggest shocker was that you can actually see your bedroom floor. god bless the peace corps!

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful...when can i come visit?? :)

Anonymous said...

I don't want to "out" my daughter, but are you saying that you don't have clothes, hangers, shoes, purses, luggage, magazines, CD's, empty bags, water bottles, empty shoe boxes, towels, hats, pillows, papers, hair dryer, pictures, etc on the floor? What a concept! The Peace Corps Rules! I don't want to take away from all the other good things you are doing and learning, but having a clean/tidy room goes right to the top of the list for me!

Anonymous said...

It appears miracles do happen!!
Love ya,
Mom