Saturday, September 29, 2007

Rain drops keep falling on my head...

Well we have been in the “rainy season” for over a month and yesterday is the first day there has been rain here in São Felipe (now to be referred to as Bila because it’s easier for me to type and that is how all the locals refer to it). The rain has been hard and constant since before lunch yesterday which meant that every hour since the rain started, you can find me mop in hand, forcing water down drains so that my house doesn’t flood!! Most houses here are built with what is known as a “kintal”, which is an open space inside your house (it is where I do my laundry!), but also means that it basically rains inside your house. This first rain has also allowed me to see the flaws in my large home…there is a hole somewhere in the base of the wall that connects my bedroom to the kintal. So guess what?? When it rains hard and water backs up in my kintal, it seeps through the hole into my bedroom!! Thankfully, this was a wall I didn’t have anything up against so none of my stuff got water logged or damaged. The rain, however annoying for my drainage problems, has been great. Starting with the fact that because of the rain, for the first time it wasn’t excruciatingly hot today!! Also, it means that the crops get some much needed nourishment because right now, in most places the corn is little more than a sprout coming out of the ground, when it should be well past my knees. The rain makes me happy but it also makes me miss Arizona (surprise) and the awesome monsoons. I love rain, but there is nothing like some good thunder and lightning!

p.s. day after rain...what do you get when you combine two days of constant rain with the extreme heat that comes the day after the rain...IT´S HUMID AS HELL HERE!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Keep it up Lauren.

We love hearing all of your thoughts of Fogo.

Love,
MamaDot