Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's all in the family

Sorry for the long delay everyone!

So, one year in country has come and past! I only have 13 months of service left! Wow, how the time has flown by. Really, it seems like 3 months ago that i left, not 12. I am still extremely happy that i chose to join the peace corps and am learning so much about myself and the world by being here. Sometimes, however, I do wish that i could just push the pause button on the rest of the world so i don't miss all the important things happening in your lives. This blog might be a little boring for those of you not in the Blas family, but maybe it will inspire you to go out and hug your family!
To the Blas Family-
You know, growing up, I don't think it dawned on the cousins of my generation just why it was so important we continue to get together. The first generation cousins had basically grown up together, but for us who only saw each other once a year, it was my thought that the Blas family was just the sea of people I had to sift through every christmas to get my presents from "santa". But through our reunions, especially the last one, all of that changed. I realized why we do it; i realized why we all gather every Christams Eve and every 5 years at the reunions... we do it because although our family is large, loud and even a little crazy, it is such a special thing that we are able reconnect with everyone; to be there to meet new husbands/wives and new babies and to be there for each other through the losses and the hard times. I hope we all realize how unique our family is. Being here in Cape Verde has shown me that. Most Americans think of their family as Grandma, Grandpa, aunts and uncles, but i am blessed to know my great aunts and uncles, first, second and third cousins and how the rest of us are related i can't even say correctly! I know that when it is time for the Blas family to get together, there are over 100 people that I can't wait to see! So, to wrap up my sappy homage to you all, my wonderful family, who will be together without me in less than one week, i have only one more thing to say...be crazy, be loud, be family. I love you and will be thinking of you all!

To my second family-
Keeping on the family note, I have to say welcome to the world to Chance Michael Chishom who was born July 10th, 2008! Katie and Matt, i am so happy that you two have a beautiful healthy baby boy! I wish I could be there to give you all a big hug and kiss. I can't believe I won't meet him for another year. Tell Chance to expect a lot of love from his auntie dottie when she gets home!

6 comments:

Tyla said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for giving your time and talent to help others! You do the Blas family proud!
We will miss you!
Cousin Tyla

Unknown said...

Lauren: I have to second Tyla's comment. You are doing the work necessary to heal a broken world, one little corner at a time. You are a credit to your generation and to the Blas family. See you at the next reunion.
Cousin Brad

Anonymous said...

I guess we are doing something right in all of this!!

We are so proud of you La!

Nik Lee said we will have many drinks in your honor!!

Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm hugging you from far far away. damn you for making me cry! i love you cousin.
-melissa

LB said...

Hey Lauren,

I'm a PCV in Senegal heading to CV for vacation with a friend in August and am just doing some trip planning. Do you know if PCVs are arranging anything for the Baia das Gatas music fest on Mindelo?

Look forward to visiting your beautiful country...

Cheers, Laura

Anonymous said...

Oh La, you make me smile :) How did i get so lucky to be friends with you!? This was a great blog and I am not even related to you, but even I teared up a bit when reading your note to your family! Such a good reminder to always appreciate your family!

Keep up the good work!
Love,
Julia Gulia