Wednesday, August 1, 2007

So the last few weeks have been super busy. We have lost two members of our group which makes it hit home that, although sometimes it feels like it, we are not on vaction. I have made it to the half-way point of training and still can´t believe that I am really here. We have a completely different experience than any other post...cape verde is not like any other country in the world and sometimes it may seem like we volunteers have it easy here because we have so many more amenities than those say on the continent, but the mind games that Cape Verde plays on you can be tough. Our post here has one of the highest eary termination rates and I think I know why. On the continent it´s supposed to be hard...you´re in the Peace Corps in a village in the middle of nowhere and you know why it´s hard. Here, with more cities and internet cafe´s and discotecs, you think `why am i having such a hard time, I have light and an indoor bathroom´. But enough about random thoughts, here is what I´ve been up too.
Last weekend we went to a concentration camp here in Cape Verde. We looked around a bit and then went to the beach...then sunday I washed all my clothes, which once I leave my homestay i will never be able to wear my jeans again because I am not stong enough to ring them out!! Sunday night we went to the discotec in our village (yes we have a disco) and I was taught how to dance!! Man...like i said before Cape Verdeans have so much invested in their music and dance that it is something i am privliged to learn...but the upbeat dance called Funana takes a lot of energy!!! We find out our permenant site placement on august 10 and i have asked for a more rural spot but of course I have absolutely no imput in the final decision. Also, we took a mid training language exam and I am already at the level required for me to swear in as a volunteer (but I could definately not go out into the world yet!) And I have learned some other thing about my self and here is what they are.
I don´t mind cockroaches as much as I despise ants.
I can take a bucket bath using only 4 cups of water and do a pretty damn good job!
I get a little motion sick swimming in the ocean.
I CAN eat fish and drink tea every night even though i hate them both!!
I love my host sister Su...she rocks and has biceps the size of potatoes cause she works her ass off all day doing house work.
I love hiace rides...they are like rollercoaster rides.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like you are adjusting well. Of course we knew you would!We are so proud of you!!

Love,
Mom and Dad
Bailey too!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your heart, body and soul are being shaped in amazing ways and I am so proud of you Lauren. Keep us posted and I miss you lots and lots!
-Emily

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on life in the Cape. It sounds like your training is going well. Have you been able to learn about ways you will be able to communicate once you go to your village? Will you still be able to blog on this site? I hope we will be able to continue reading your story. It is inspiring to see you go through. Thanks for sharing!

Mitch

Unknown said...

You are a rock star LD. Post some pictures as soon as possible! I have a few to send to you from our last weeks hangin' out, so get ready. Miss ya.