Saturday, August 18, 2007

Table for one??

We got our site placements yesterday!!! I am going to the island of Fogo which I am so excited about...however, I will be in one of the bigger towns there and I will be living by myself. I had wanted a more rural site but of course I am going to take this and run with it! There are 4 other volunteers from my group going to the island as well, 2 boys and 2 other girls. The 2 boys will be on the other side of the island from me and the two girls should be just around the island a little, but transportation is a bit sparadic so we´ll see how often I get to see everyone!!! I´m a little nervous about the being on my own thing and I´ll have to learn how to cook for just one!! Ok, that´s all I have for now...I´ll let you know my mental state before I leave for site in two weeks!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

Well I have read all your posts today & I'm so happy for you! I could only wish to be as brave as you! It sounds like you are having fun & I can't wait to read about your new home =)

Good Luck!

Steph

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

I think this is awesome! This is the first I have heard about you in Africa, and I am really jealous! I wish you luck with everything and will be reading your blogs as you post them. I am hoping that I can be doing something similar in the near future! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
Congratulations on your placement on Fogo. The town looks so pretty & quaint! I think they gave you a site by yourself because they determined how confident, capable and independent you are. We are all so proud of you. Keep the blogs & pictures coming!

Love,

Janet

Anonymous said...

La,
I have spent the day finding out everything the internet has on Fogo!
It sounds wonderful and with a 3 bedroom house to yourself I think you can have lots of company from the USA!! Sue Hoffman said our Bunco group could even come! We could teach CV/Fogo the difficult game of Bunco!!
Love,
MOM

seosurvivor said...

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Lauren.
It looks like you are on a long vacation. Looks like a great place. What will you be doing there? Do you like fish yet? I think Kylia will be alot like you.
Love you auntie

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you La! Everything sounds amazing! Your pictures are beautiful and I can't wait to hear more stories about Fogo. I think you will be a-ok on your own! I am singing Beyonce right now for you..."All the woman, independent!!"

Keep up the good work!

Love,
Juls

Ms. Dodds said...

You make me want to be a better person La! Thanks for making the world a better place - I couldn't be more proud to call you my best friend! Love you...

Em

Anonymous said...

WOW! Four posts in one month! I go away for a couple weeks and come back behind! LOL

The pictures are beautiful and I'm pleased to hear about your placement. i'm sure you will do well on your own. If all else fails, you can always go eat fish with the neighbors :)

Mitch