Saturday, August 11, 2007

When the lights go down in the city

Ok so I had to throw a little Journey in...
Since last sunday we have been without electricity in my village. Normally we have lights from about mid day to mid night but something happened and the whole week has been dark. Personally, I love it and am now even more convinced that I hope I get a sight with limited or no electricity. Instead of watching Brazilian novelas after dinner, everyone goes and sits in the street and talks under a gorgeously stary sky. And it is also a great excuse to get to go to bed at 9 and not look like a complete loser!!! The lights going out was especially neat this week because Sarah (see below to see who she is) lives with a family who´s son is a super famous musician here in cape verde and he is here visiting...so we sat in the dark under the stars and he played the guitar and sang...it was a little surreal and you all have to go check out the singer Tcheka.

Last weekend, this girl sarah, who is in my youth developement group and so lives in my same village, arranged for a BBQ at her house for the peace corps peeps. We all went up hiking to this little waterfall first and on the way back to town, the first hard rain of the season started!! We hiked for an hour and a half in the heavy rain and it was so amazing to see all the local villages we passed through because eveyone was so excited and yelling and celebrating the start of the rainy seaon. In this drought plagued country, rain means food and that is definately a reason to be happy. ~
Once we got back from the hike, sarah had make us lunch (chicken not fish!) and we all ate and then a group of about 8 spent the night and for a split second we could all imagine that we were back in america partying with our own group of friends...it was great to have that one little bit of´ámerican´time and it was really nice to get to relax and have a beer with the group because we don´t all get to hang out a lot with the schedule we have.

In other news, we find out our permenant sites NEXT friday so hopefully the next time i post something it will be where i am living for the next two years!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi La,
Just ordered Tcheka CD on Amazon.com. He sounds fantastic. We will play it for Deb and Dan when we see them in Santa Cruz. Of course you know we will be enjoying an adult beverage and thinking of you!!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren
It's so fun to read of your adventures. Gavin loves visiting your blog site and sends his hello. :) We've been looking at many google photos of cape verde...so beautiful!
We look forward to hearing about your permanent placement.
Best to you.
Livi

Anonymous said...

Lauren:

Great information...you provide such great detail!!! We think of you often and your mom is doing a great job of keeping us informed.

Hugs...

Sandy (Putnam)

Anonymous said...

Hi La,

Miss you so much! I love reading your blog...keep it up sista! When you get back we are having Dance Party 2009! Be prepared, there will be Tcheka's music and you will be teaching us the Funana and Batuk :)
Hope you are practicing your Cape Verdean dance moves! Keep up the good work!

Love,
Julia

Anonymous said...

Hey La
It seem like you are doing great.
Your mom is doing great, we are going camping with them on the 26
Keep up the good work.
We miss and love you
Uncle Dale and Auntie

Anonymous said...

Keep up the Journey titles my lady. when you have a permanent address i will send you CDs and yummies, so start thinking of ideas! best of luck for Friday's assignment and as always, you're in my prayers my love.
xoxo,
em c

Anonymous said...

Keep up the Journey titles, Lo, you know that makes me proud! When you have a permanent address I will send you CDs (packed with Journey hits) and yummies, so start thinking of ideas! Best of luck for Friday's assignment and as always, you're in my prayers my love.
xoxo,
em c

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren, sounds like you're doing well, which it is always good to hear. As you can imagine this is funny for me to read because I'm about to close my service and I guess you're...opening it? Dance party should be no problem, I've got some new moves myself. I happen to be a passada master. Hope you continue to do well and enjoy yourself.
Nathaniel

Anonymous said...

Hola from Saca-tomatos
Took me a while to figure this blogging thing out.
Hard to believe its been a year since your maid of honor role. Sara flies in today to assist in the post-surgical care of Cody as Chris heads back to Tucson manana. Pepper crop starting to come in, football season tickets should arrive today making it almost officially fall. How is the powder supply holding up?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren-
Can't wait to hear the Tcheka CD with your parents in Santa Cruz. We'll practice our dance moves on the beach!

Saw the picture of you listening to Tcheka and you look happy. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.

The Scott family talks of you often and looks forward to reading your blog.

Love,
Deb

Anonymous said...

la, I miss you and am glad you are having a great time. I hope everything works out and you get a site that you fall in love with.
I was thinking about you a lot this past week because I was volunteering for a brain injury camp up in the mountains. I thought maybe this is a little like what la is experiencing, but with electricity and water. I am so proud of you and excited to hear about your next adventure.
sara

Anonymous said...

Hello again!

It was nothing for you to write about walking in the pouring rain for an hour and half. Yet, I whine about walking across the street in the 106 degree heat of Memphis. I'm pathetic. LOL

BBQ, guitar, stars, and friends...that sounds great! I hope you have many more opportunities for experiences like that in your permananent assignment.

By the way...I took your brother out to a great restaurant in Memphis last week. I mentioned you and your brother bragged about his sister. I think he is proud of you;)

I hope you stay positive and well.

Mitch

p.s. Matt said you didn't have my email address, so in case you still want it...
mitch.powers@hotmail.com